View Single Post
Old 27-06-05, 10:13 PM   #4
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

Not much news, really. The key part is "if they intend for their customers to use software primarily to swap songs and movies illegally". Intention is often hard to prove in the absence of documented supporting evidence.

It's back to BetaMax and whether or not there is a "non-infringing use". Definately the DMCA Reform Act needs to be passed to ensure consumers continue to have "fair use" rights. Digital media is here to stay whether or not the industry likes it.

I still think the recording/movie industry may find it difficult to prove the level of damages they claim to have sustained from file sharing. This is especially true given the fact that many boycott the industry for it's draconian treatment of it's own customers. People can live without purchasing CD's and DVD's or going to the movies, but the involved industries can not survive without patronage.

Edit: latent typo, word left out

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.

Last edited by Drakonix : 29-06-05 at 07:18 PM.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote