View Single Post
Old 13-04-03, 10:09 AM   #5
JackSpratts

Quote:
Originally posted by SJ56
Very interesting reading .....but very long

Take me nearly 1 hour going thru it.

Could this be done on a daily basis instead?
Quote:
Originally posted by assorted
or you could read a little bit each day during the next week? :P
Probably the easiest way…

Something so big makes many waves and many waves make many stories. (Sprattsian proverb)

The genesis of the week in review was to have a repository of the week’s p2p related news – in one place and easy to find – that didn’t dominate the Peer-to-Peer forum but yet was in that forum and not somewhere else. I was posting so much news last year that I felt my news threads were taking over and the forum was at risk of becoming a news only site. There’s nothing wrong with a news site per se but that’s not how I perceived "Peer-to-Peer". It made me hold back even more stories. News in general is a kind of pipeline information. It's mostly one way and it never stops. People read it and it’s important but it doesn’t always lend itself to conversation – it is more the background for dialog, the foundation for conversation if you will and a bulletin board in my mind should be freewheeling with plenty of give and take, with the ideas that make the dialog coming from the members for the most part. The risk was that at 10-12 stories a day the news would crowd out the other potentials and it’s those “other potentials” I wanted – they’re interesting! Also during this time I wanted to incorporate a lot more peer to peer political and legislative information in the forum and was even considering starting a new board altogether. Eventually I thought a digest was the best way to deal with it. Instead of dozens of daily news and political threads packing the top of the board we’d have just one thread per week but one that would have all the stories parked inside it. Kind of a super thread. That way there’d be no risk of domination. So that’s what I’ve done. It makes it easy to find P2P news, it’s a good way to store information I think and it’s a major time saver not having to search the web for all those items (believe me I know - I have to search the web for these items lol). While the size is large, you can read it at your leisure at one go or copy it and read it later, especially if your browser copies hotlinks like Opera does. Perhaps the best way to approach it is to do like assorted says - take a little at a time and keep coming back for more. It’s not going anywhere, as long as we have the web space I’ll keep it up. Just read as much or as little as you like and skip as much as you want, it’s not homework after all. It is big, there’s no denying that (How big? Well it’s a 400k word doc of 90 pages and 35,000 words ), but there is so much happening in the world of P2P it’s affecting nearly every aspect of our lives, in every part of the globe (the U.S. military is using Peer-to-Peer to wage war in Iraq for instance at the same time small churches in America are using Peer-to-Peer to assist their local communities ).

There’s no rush to the finish line. There is no finish line. Take your time.

Enjoy it.

- js.
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote