View Single Post
Old 09-10-04, 07:57 AM   #50
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
How people get infected is a bit beside the point.
Like hell it is! It's almost all of the point; if people don't get infected then there is no other point, so why not look at stopping it. Modifying people's behaviour, quarantining people who won't behave themselves. Using resources for eliminating the disease instead of treating the people who have it for the rest of their lives. Maybe if they have to suffer and die or at least pay for their own healthcare as a result of their actions they'll change their behaviour and never get sick.

I think that maybe if the fat guy at work was faced with selling his big, expensive, and much beloved RV to pay for his bypass operations he might have become a vegan instead.

Quote:
With your mindset people without insurance can go on for months if not years without even knowing that they are infected.
What mindset are you talking about? You can still take it out and check it you know.
Why would insurance make people get checkups if they're already engaging in behaviour that shows disreguard for their health as with HIV and Hepatitis. They need reasons to stop endangering themselves instead of a safety net to keep them alive once they've already screwed up.

Quote:
or shouldn't we eat food anymore or wait it's prolly my fault when someone with tb sneezes in the subway. yeah mike, you shouldn't sit next to someone like that. and how could i board that fucking plane while sars was around.
You can pick your eateries more carefully, maybe wear a dust mask like the Japanese during SARS season. But these infections are low mortality and except for TB, curable.

My "keep your dick in your pants" story is just an example of avoiding disease in the first place; a condom will also work. And your Africa quip makes absolutely no sense at all.

Last edited by albed : 09-10-04 at 10:18 AM.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote