Thread: A Nuclear 9/11
View Single Post
Old 25-03-04, 05:06 PM   #2
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

Quote:
And there's more good news. While I believe that the invasion of Iraq was a mistake, at least Saddam Hussein won't be making warheads soon. Likewise, partly thanks to Bush's saber-rattling, Libya is abandoning its weapons program.
the Bushies like to claim the disarmament of Libya as one of their success stories....a direct result, they say, of the invasion of Iraq.

turns out that isn't quite true :

Quote:
As assistant secretary of state in the Clinton administration, I had the dubious honour of starting the negotiations with the Libyans in May 1999. Five years of diplomacy, concluded by Bush, produced that Libyan disarmament. But in May 1999, the Libyans offered to give up their weapons of mass destruction in the very first meeting we held with them.

So the notion that the US and its allies had to go to war in Iraq pre-emptively in order to get the Libyans to give up their weapons of mass destruction does not happen to fit the facts. Libyan disarmament was the product of negotiations and sanctions, not the war in Iraq.
seems like nothing is what it appears with the administration. you gotta watch these guys - believe half of what you see and none of what you hear
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote