Thread: Bit Torrent
View Single Post
Old 10-12-02, 09:39 AM   #3
naz
-

Well, it seems to be used by primarily by cappers to distribute very new content which isn't retained for very long.

I started using it to get the finale of the sopranos a few hours after it was broadcast.

check releases here ... http://turok.info

Quote:
BitTorrent

What is BitTorrent?

BitTorrent is a protocol for distributing files. It identifies content by url and is designed to integrate seamlessly with the web. Its advantage over plain http is that when multiple downloads of the same file happen concurrently, the downloaders upload to each other, making it possible for the file source to support very large numbers of downloaders with only a modest increase in its load.

Ok, what is BitTorrent in plain English?

BitTorrent is a program you download. It is similar to a peer-to-peer file sharing service. Basically it goes like this: You download the installer. You get the link to a file that ends in .torrent and enter that URL into your browser (preferably Internet Explorer). This opens the BitTorrent download window. It starts downloading the file, or episode that you wanted (ex. alias2x01.torrent). As it downloads, it uploads the parts that you have to other people, so many people can get it at once. When you've finished downloading the file, you can leave the window open (don't press finish or close the window) and other people can still download from you. This is very much encouraged.
I’ve been a little down because today my doctor diagnosed me with John Travolta Syndrome. It’s a condition where your face or head grows laterally, getting wider year by year. It’s not so much of a problem and it’s nothing to be ashamed of, it’s just a condition. In fact mine is good because it means my brain is getting bigger too. But not that Travolta guy, his head is mostly fat. The doctors said I am much smarter than John Travolta and I believe them.
naz is offline   Reply With Quote