View Single Post
Old 07-05-06, 10:18 PM   #114
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

I don't assume there are any benefits for letting mediocrity slide, but I don't think you risk anything by doing so either. Idiots have always outnumbered intelligent people and they always will. There may be no cure for stupidity but it isn't as contagious as you fear. "A topic loses focus when lies and faulty logic are allowed to infect a thread." Infect? I'd have thought that by now you would have built up an immunity to bullshit and it wouldn't bother you. Well, unless it's an allergy, in which case I can offer no advice.

So other than preventing hayfeaver and hives, what are the benefits of not letting people convey lies and deceive others?

As for my religious beliefs, you can ask me again later when you're not compelled to judge me based on a belief system you don't hold yourself nor fully understand. Until that time I'll refer you to the Bible verse cited at the bottom of my last post.

Back to the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknife
once you properly define the issue with Iran, it's not hard to predict where it goes from here. the issue, as far as the administration is concerned, is regime change - once again, wmd's are the excuse and once again, the administration telegraphs it's intentions by refusing direct talks. unfortunately, as with Iraq, our reach once again exceeds our grasp.
I've stated before that I think invasion is not only a bad idea but also not being seriously considered by the government. The president likes to say that the option is still on the table becase he want's to put up a strong front, and as everyone else in the world knows, a threat of military action from the United States is grave. No doubt the top military minds in Washington are working out the logistics of a confrontration with Iran, analyzing every possibility from small incursions and skirmishes to all out invasion and nuclear bombardment. But realistically the United States will not go to war against Iran unless they attack us first. Maybe not even then, after all we let Iraq shoot at our planes for a decade in violation of the ceasefire before we finally retalliated in ernest.

Part of me says, "World war three? Bring it on! We won the last two and we can do it again." But really, I don't see it ever comming to that. Up to this point we've done nothing but talk, and even if Bush and Ahmadinejad continue posturing for the media and never speak directly, at least they're making their desires clear. It's better to threaten war than to silently stand by, doing nothing, while Iran gleefully joins the nuclear club.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote