View Single Post
Old 07-05-06, 07:59 AM   #102
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_silver
Well... that's because you can't have a decent conversation with someone else that disagree with your political affiliation without you trashing em because you feel some different way.
You can respect the person even if you disagree with his point of view. And you can agree with the person even if you don't respect him. These are basic tenets of diplomacy and they keep society from falling into total chaos. In a civilized setting you can condemn a person's opinions without sinking to his level, likewise you can agree with your opponents without loosing face. I'd prefer it if this forum was civilized, but it's not all up to me.

Quote:
Really hard to have a decent political battle when one keeps insulting the opponent because they are not supporting your views
Here we agree completly. But if you let the insults just roll off your back you would not be unique, people do this all the time and still manage to remain civilized. You and everyone else here lack the authority to punish someone for flinging insults, but you do have the ability to reward good behavior. I would encourage you to praise your opponents when they are civil and ignore them when they're not.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote