View Single Post
Old 11-04-06, 05:26 AM   #6
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

it's pretty amazing, actually - the birth of a political movement virtually overnight. from the NYT:
Quote:
Immigration Advocates Rally Across U.S

By MARIA NEWMAN
Published: April 10, 2006

Crowds of immigrants and their supporters predicted to total in the hundreds of thousands marched today in more than 100 cities throughout the country, casting off the old fears of their illegal status to assert that they have a right to a humane life in this country.

Thousands took part in a large immigration march and rally in Atlanta, Ga., today. More Photos >

The marches were taking place in big cities like Washington, New York City, Houston, Los Angeles, Phoenix and Atlanta, and in smaller communities like Hyde Park, N.Y., Garden City, Kan., and Belle Glade, Fla. Some of the marchers invoked the tactics and slogans of the civil rights era, and others were trying out a new voice for an emerging constituency that in the very recent past has hidden from authority because of their lack of papers, afraid to speak up, willing to work for wages that American citizens will not accept.

In Madison, Wis., a rally drew 25,000, organizers said. The police, who estimated the crowd to be closer to 10,000, nevertheless said it was one of the largest rallies they have seen in 10 years there.
the GOP was hoping to create a wedge issue with immigration...instead they succeeded in mobilizing and unifying millions of voters against them.

obviously the illegals are a critical part of the economy - i can see that in my own neighborhood. i think they should apply the Cuba rule - seal the borders, but if you're already here or can make it in, you can stay.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote