View Single Post
Old 06-09-02, 03:37 PM   #20
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by pod
However, this is VERY bandwidth intensive. I'm sure you've seen keys before, they're not exactly small.
A 283 bit ECC key would provide the same security as a 3,072 bit RSA key, and that would be more than enough for a safe p2p identity. 283 bits would fit to 36 bytes. Doesn’t sound too big to me.

Quote:
Originally posted by pod
This problem is not a problem at all if you can have servers you trust do this for you. Who does this authentication on a free-for-all P2P network?
In the first place there is only one peer that you can trust to authenticate anything, and that is you yourself. You can search identities through other peers but it is up to you to check that they are the ones they claim to be.

Quote:
Originally posted by pod
Because if your info happens to be stored on only a couple of nodes, and they disconnect, suddenly no one knows who you are, except you.
Why would my contacts forget my identity when I go offline? They have my permanent public key stored on their computers. Whenever I pop back online, I can search them by their public keys and after finding them I can prove my identity to them.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote