View Single Post
Old 18-01-03, 03:38 PM   #5
SA_Dave
Guardian of the Maturation Chamber

yayaya

I thought I'd finally cured myself of my addiction to clicking on links and opening countless windows in Opera...I guess not!

Hi Jack! An excellent issue as usual!

Two stories in particular highlighted how much mainstream exposure is being given to p2p issues :
Quote:
“Free Downloading Eating Net Music”
This latest study shows how the legal music-downloading sites (such as MP3.com, Peoplesound.com and Vitaminic.com) are suffering as the usage of grey market, peer-to-peer applications (such as KaZaA, MusicCity Morpheus and Audiogalaxy) are increasing.
& Hollywood muscles Australian ISPs over piracy
According to its website, the company monitors Napster/OpenNap, Aimster, Swapnut, Gnutella (Bearshare, Limewire & others), AudioGalaxy, Hotline, iMesh, KaZaA, Morpheus/MusicCity, Grokster, Xolox, FTP Sites and IRC.
I wonder if anyone told them that Audiogalaxy and Aimster are dead? Is MediaForce now monitoring Rhapsody too? Reporters shouldn't perpetuate the mistakes made by their sources.

I found the following snippets humourous (btw great comic strip!) :
Quote:
Digital Piracy: The Show Must Go On
Michiel Williamson said "Software encryption in an open (Windows PC or any other open platform environment..."
Make note of the bold text. He has a very loose definition of "open" doesn't he?

Quote:
Digital Experts Swap Copy Protection Talk
In the other corner, Steve Griffin, CEO of StreamCast Networks, a company that promotes peer- to-peer systems and has already been sued by "29 of the most powerful" media companies – "you can't get anymore sued than our company has," he joked -- was confident that the recording studios would drop their suit and embrace file-sharing technology to distribute their content.
It's not difficult to be sued if you're a U.S.-based p2p company! That's nothing to be proud about really. *yawns*
Quote:
Judge: Kazaa Can Be Sued In U.S.
Wilson ruled that Kazaa does substantial business in the U.S and since it is alleged the company engages in copyright infringement, the company is subject to U.S. law.
Spyware distribution is now a "substantial business." Take heed gator!

Other items I found interesting :
Quote:
A Novelist Who Walks the Walk
"It's a great strategy so long as print-on-paper is easier to read than pixels-on-plasma," said novelist Peter Watts, author of Maelstrom and Starfish. "But before long we'll be downloading text onto displays, which are as easy on the eyes as a conventional paperback, and far more compact and durable to boot. I think it's a fine idea for the next 20 minutes or so."
This paragraph raised an interesting point, and it's a development that could be interesting to follow. Still, as theknife said, until you can comfortably curl up in bed with an eBook, free internet distribution will never compete with the traditional product. There's nothing quite like the smell of a new book is there?

The Power lines promising for Internet expansion story was interesting, but it's still disappointing that it won't have much greater coverage than current broadband services. The Coming of Copyright Perpetuity story and the article entitled As Goes Canada are of particular concern. The taxes imposed on CDRs, burners etc. in Canada is in many ways even more flawed than the current business model followed by the music industry, as the artists aren't being compensated AT ALL, whilst the consumer also continues to be RIPPED OFF!

Song Lyrics Stored in Bacteria is a great story! Covergence of IT and biotechnology is something that's always intrigued me, the potential that DNA has to store information is staggering and in future I believe that this kind of technology will allow us to build self-regulating organic houses, vehicles, clothes and other devices that are powered by photosynthesis, garbage and even sewerage! One can only dream... Thanks too for the in-depth Freenet analysis and the personal message from Lawrence Lessig. I think that his performance was admirable, it's just unfortunate that the constitution supports such a traditionalist regime!
SA_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote