View Single Post
Old 07-05-06, 09:16 AM   #103
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer
You can respect the person even if you disagree with his point of view. And you can agree with the person even if you don't respect him. These are basic tenets of diplomacy and they keep society from falling into total chaos. In a civilized setting you can condemn a person's opinions without sinking to his level, likewise you can agree with your opponents without loosing face. I'd prefer it if this forum was civilized, but it's not all up to me.
There are people around who just don't deserve respect and it would be insincere and dishonest to pretend otherwise. They apparently don't comprehend that they're not very intelligent, well educated or mentally balanced so repeatedly informing them of their deficiencies is a good way to encourage them to make improvements.

Quote:
Here we agree completly. But if you let the insults just roll off your back you would not be unique, people do this all the time and still manage to remain civilized. You and everyone else here lack the authority to punish someone for flinging insults, but you do have the ability to reward good behavior.
It looks like Mazer wants a little rewarding miss_silver.

Quote:
I would encourage you to praise your opponents when they are civil and ignore them when they're not.
Or you could retaliate in kind. Clever insults and jabs at psychological weaknesses require a degree of intelligence that some people appreciate and find entertaining.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote