View Single Post
Old 15-01-03, 07:26 PM   #3
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

ok, i've had time to digest this - it tastes no better, but life will go on...

wonder how the good P'fessor Lessing is doing tonight?

probably not too well...he gave it a good shot, but t'was all for naught

Quote:
"We find that the (extension) is a rational enactment; we are not at liberty to second-guess congressional determinations and policy judgments of this order, however debatable or arguably unwise they may be," the court said.
sounds like the Court knew the idea of perpetual copyright extension is fucked...but unfortunately, they do not dispute the right of Congress to make such an extension.

it's easy to see a bleak future for art and American culture after this, if that's what you're looking for. in essence, nobody here will live to see any piece of music, writing, art etc. created since the 20's pass into the public domain - and maybe nothing will ever go into the public domain again. these artifacts of our culture will not be passed down from generation to generation - they will be owned and sold to those who wish to use them. there is nothing positive here...unless of course, you're a shareholder of Disney, Time-Warner et al.

of course, the ultimate irony is that these companys have made a fortune from works that were already in the public domain (think Sleeping Beauty, Beauty & The Beast and dozens of others). but nobody else will be able to do the same...

i know, it's not a life-or-death issue...and most Americans are not even aware of this stuff. i've come to my own terms with coprporate america and their ability to buy politicians and legislation - every time something like this comes down, it only increase the civil disobedience value of p2p.

it gets clearer every day who is stealing from whom

goodnight, Professor Lessing - thanks again
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote