View Single Post
Old 27-05-03, 02:34 PM   #5
JackSpratts

Make cheats, not war

"I'm famous," says Joolz, a well-known cheat coder from the south of England. By day, he's a corporate software engineer, by night the famed creator of Joolz Cheatz, arch-hack for the most popular action game on the net, Half-Life: CounterStrike. Of an evening, Joolz likes nothing better than taking on the "gits" who create anti-cheats. He loves the challenge. "I've used my skills to beat the game," he says.

He's clearly proud of his work. His cheats are lovingly created, almost hilariously multi-featured. One version allows you to simultaneously cheat, play your favourite MP3s, and run chat software - all from within the game.

"One of my favourite creations is called Lookaim. If you've got your back to someone and they look at you, it spins you round and shoots them. You looking at me? Bang! Not any more you're not!"

Joolz's hack is popular. Well over 50,000 people have downloaded it. He gets fanmail. It's given him a name and a Wild West notoriety. When Joolz walks into certain online chatrooms, a reverent quiet falls.

Perversely, though, he has a low opinion of those who use his cheats. "I've sat there for hours on end, writing the thing. They've just downloaded it from a website."

He's even built hidden backdoor features into his cheats to allow him to spot when other people are using his code and disable it. "I don't like being beaten by people using my cheat," he says. He secretly gathers information from his users. "Did you know most cheaters come from France?"

mais bien sur!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/online/st...,960616,00.html
JackSpratts is offline   Reply With Quote