View Single Post
Old 16-07-04, 03:52 PM   #5
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepdog
The problem with developing something like this is that people's intellectual pumps have been primed to expect free applications. This is great as a user, as a developer it sucks because it means I have to hold down two jobs in order to develop something that I want to develop. One to pay the bills and one to satisfy my intellect. Your answer to question three got me to thinking that maybe there is something that could be done helping unsigned/underground artist to get their music out to the public and receive some sort of monetary stream from their works as well as me getting something for mine.
Many people don't seem to realise the time, effort and cost it requires to create such works. Whether it be music, software or an oil painting, etc... It can be very difficult to accolplish while working a full time job. Just think of all the great works of art that would never have existed if the artists in question did not have the time to invest fully in their creation. They can only do this if they are also being supported by their art. The great painters and composers througout history did their best works on commision.

I know that recording equipment and studio time are very costly. So is touring. Many bands take a loss on tours, but do it anyway to promote CD sales. Imagine if Led Zeppelin had stopped after their first album because they had no revenue comming in, and no way to afford further recording? No Whole Lotta love. No Stairway to Heaven. These classics were inspired by, and recorded because of money. If they weren't getting paid, they wouldn't have done it.

I think people are willing to pay a reasonable price for reasonable quality. It's just the exorbitant price the RIAA charges for mostly crap that has people up in arms. But when people spend their time and money creating something, they deserve something for it. And if people enjoy and appreciate the work of others, they should be willing to show them by helping them out.
Headbanger is offline   Reply With Quote