View Single Post
Old 16-07-04, 02:29 PM   #3
shepdog

GutrGuy,
Thanks for responding. I agreee with the points you made but wanted to clarify a few things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutrguy

Search Results, Speed, Resumable downloads...auto or not, to hell with organizers and built in players...they just bloat the prog and everyone knows winamp is the best anyway. Multi Source is ok, as long as you have a way to check the files...when you have lots of sources, 1 bad file will screw up your download.
What do you see as the best way of verifing files for multisource d/l's? Do you envision this to be automatic process or go by somesort of hashkey as others have done? I agree with the statement about bloat as well. Do one thing and do it well.

Quote:

Cross platform...you mean for mac, linux, or for the different windows platforms? All windows platforms are a must!! Mac and linux should come as the prog gets more popular.
By cross platform I mean mac and 'nix. It is being developed in such a manner that you can stick different guis on it in different platforms with all the functionality being provided by a dll.

Quote:

Something streamlined and simple. There is no need for all kinds of extras, if its simple and works, it will likely become very popular. A folder browser would be nice, and easy to do...just make a tab or whatever and have it point to the location on the drive so you can see your files. Being a musician, i feel that there should be a way for unsigned artists to promote their music with the prog...even if it is just a pic, a tracklist, a description, and a link to the bands webpage. Underground / Unsigned bands in general are ALWAYS looking for new ways to promote themselves...i feel this would be a big step in the right direction.
A folder browser is a very simple matter to do. What I find more interesting is your comment about artist promoting their own music. Could you expand on this thought. What do you envision here? I think you may be onto something. Also for the independant/underground artists do you see this as a distribution mechanisim in which they can charge for their works or just provide them for free? My grey matter is bubbling on this one but it hasn't formed a good cohesive understanding of all that could/should be done.

Quote:

Free...if you want to charge for it, people will still use the free progs no matter what hassels there are....you cant compete with free....If i was going to pay for a program (which is more rare than a blue moom) it would have to have anything and everything...old, new...country to hip hop...no missing tracks, no missing albums, catolouged, tagged, album covers, track lists, descriptions, high quality rips...along with lower quality rips for slower connections, multiple formats, (mp3, FLAC, ogg, etc) , codecs for the different formats, and most importantly...the downloads would have to NEVER bottom out...if i have a 3Mbit connection, and its all available to use, i expect to get blazing speed. Basicly, it should be your 1 stop shop for all your music needs...
The problem with developing something like this is that people's intellectual pumps have been primed to expect free applications. This is great as a user, as a developer it sucks because it means I have to hold down two jobs in order to develop something that I want to develop. One to pay the bills and one to satisfy my intellect. Your answer to question three got me to thinking that maybe there is something that could be done helping unsigned/underground artist to get their music out to the public and receive some sort of monetary stream from their works as well as me getting something for mine. Just a thought. Don't flame me on this... Just kickin' cobwebs.

Quote:

Im not a developer, so i cant help you there.
Not a problem. I do really appreciate your feedback though.

Be good or be good at it,

John
shepdog is offline   Reply With Quote