View Single Post
Old 30-10-07, 05:31 AM   #17
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer View Post
You're trying to convince me that attraction is the only factor in reproduction because attraction is a product of instinct while society is not, but you're wrong. Societies occur in most classes of vertebrates and in many arthropods, the vast majority of which behave solely out of instinct because they lack the capacity for emotion and intellect. You'll find societies in animals ranging from lions to ants. So society is a product of instinct and as such its purpose is to enhance reproductivity.
Society's purpose is to increase survival, if anything it's inhibited reproduction significantly. And this thread's about the "human race" so you can leave out the ants and lions until our society has one reproductive female birthing thousands or men start killing babies that aren't theirs.

Quote:
I wasn't contradicting myself by saying biotechnology is a social force because I didn't say that biotechnology is a social force.
Quote:
but there are likely many reasons why humans no longer evolve by means of natural selection and biotechnology is just one of them. In all cases the new motive forces behind human evolution are social
I don't know which is worse someone who can't understand his own post or someone who's never noticed that some words have multiple definitions.

Quote:
Like most people you've gotten into the habit of equating sex and reproduction
Please tell me about your strange society with sexless reproduction and quote me where I equated that anyway. I said "animal instinct" and it's right up there for you to liberally reinterpret apparently. -jump multi, jump.

Quote:
but for humans reproduction is a conscious choice. And because we are social creatures our reproductive decisions are deeply affected by social pressure.
I said it's instinctive, not unsconcious, but you can't consciously decide someone's attractive. And where's that "social pressure" again? Science demands data. Just because you declare it so isn't good enough for me.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote