View Single Post
Old 29-10-07, 11:17 PM   #15
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi View Post
'advanced', liberal countries?

Wouldn't that would be a contradiction of terms for you albed? Or maybe you are saying there needs to be a balance of liberal and conservative to attain the status of 'advanced' country?
He means liberal as in free, not liberal as in leftist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by albed View Post
Nonsense. You're just as bad as that "top scientist" with no evidence or explanation, just your pronouncement. And biotechnology certainly isn't a "social force" so you're already contradicting yourself.

Society has little or nothing to do with reproduction, it's a fairly personal choice made mostly by women imo, at least in advanced, liberal countries with birth control options. And they're still driven by animal instinct from what I can determine, so they're still selecting for looks, health, wealth, etc. even when it's from a sperm bank. So I really don't see any "social" forces at work. But feel free to elaborate.
I will, but what I'm about to write should be obvious.

You're trying to convince me that attraction is the only factor in reproduction because attraction is a product of instinct while society is not, but you're wrong. Societies occur in most classes of vertebrates and in many arthropods, the vast majority of which behave solely out of instinct because they lack the capacity for emotion and intellect. You'll find societies in animals ranging from lions to ants. So society is a product of instinct and as such its purpose is to enhance reproductivity.

Like most people you've gotten into the habit of equating sex and reproduction, but because of birth control we don't have to apply that kind of thinking to ourselves. People use contraceptives when they want to fuck, not when they want to mate. Humans and animals alike fuck out of instinct, but for humans reproduction is a conscious choice. And because we are social creatures our reproductive decisions are deeply affected by social pressure.

I wasn't contradicting myself by saying biotechnology is a social force because I didn't say that biotechnology is a social force. I did say that it is one of many processes that has superseded natural selection and that it is a result of social forcings.

Last edited by Mazer : 29-10-07 at 11:28 PM.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote