View Single Post
Old 30-01-02, 02:22 AM   #15
Stoepsel
Waiting For The Night To Fall...

Quote:
Originally posted by goldenrod

Okay - I've gotten the multi source problem down and understand the difficulties involved with resuming one. But, what if the file you download is not part of the multi-source variety and the end-data can be stripped off the file? One file + one user - only (for now anyway).
OK, as I suggested earlier, it should be comparatively simple to have WinMX resume a partial Morpheus donwload if the download is guaranteed to consist of exactly one contiguous part of raw data, i.e. no stuffing added for unretrieved data, plus the excess data Morpheus adds.

The first trick would be to strip off the excess data from the end of the file. So you need to know, where this excess data begins. And unfortunately, I haven't the faintest. Maybe someone like indy or AYB would know more about that. AYB works on the DATRepairer that tries to fix problems with DAT files by tampering with the excess data.

Once you know where the excess data starts, you have to somehow make a copy of the DAT file without that data. Maybe there are tools out there that let you do that... Or write your own, if you have the skills.

The second trick is to make WinMX think that it tried to download the file before. First, rename the DAT to mp3 (or whatever type of file it is). Then by tampering with the "incomplete downloads.txt" create a fake entry for your file. I'll post an example of one later today. But from memory, the file is really simple to understand.

Then start WinMX. In the transfer window, press the "Show Incomplete Downloads" button. This should display your file. Then do a "Find Alternates" and hope you get a result. Resume the download from one of the users that shows up in the results.

That should really be it. There are still open questions that I can't answer (start of excess data, how to strip off excess data), but maybe someone else has an idea.

Quote:

Also, going back to the multisource, partial file problem.......

If you take that multisource partial dat file to another multisource compatible application with the end-data removed, would it be possible to resume the file in that other application?

Guess it would also depend how the other application stores the file's data also, right?

<sigh> this is getting to be a rather slippery surface indeed.
I have no idea, how Morpheus keeps track of which parts of a multi-sourced download it has already retrieved. It could be part of the excess data or it could be stored in the .dbb files. No clue. And even if I did know, how would you tell the other application, which parts are already downloaded.

To summarize, I don't think there is an easy solution for this problem. At least nothing I could help you with. Sowwy.

Quote:

Remember, I (you, whoever) have the dats of some very hard-to-get files, most of the files can only be found on 1 or 2 people's hard drives (one of them is typically not sharing or is behind a firewall). Wouldn't it be cool if you can make that partial file portable from one application to another compatible application.

It'd be a good way to spread that rare file around a network, wouldn't it?
Like I said above, it would be quite a job to do. We have to assume that every application treats its partial files differently - OK, maybe one exception with Morpheus, Grokster, Kazaa and their clones. And with the number of applications around you'd have to be able to freely convert from one partial file format to another. Or better yet, create your own partial file format and be able to convert back and forth between the application formats and your own format.

Looking for volunteers for the job? Don't look in my direction.

/me takes a step back.

Stoepsel