View Single Post
Old 29-01-02, 07:03 PM   #11
goldie
yea, it's me.

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Maze
Just copy/paste the .dat file into the shared folder of your other p2p program and rename it "radio mystery.mp3" or whatever the exact filename is ...and begin resuming.

You have to be fairly certain that the other person's file is indeed the exact same file, and renamed to exactly what they named it (copy/paste the filename of course).

Stoepsel mentioned excess data inside the file so I'm not entirely certain of this, but I do know that you can rename the .dat file to .mp3 and it pretty much plays like an unfinished mp3 that I "presume" you could "resume".

Of course there's several ways of finding the right user, file, and server and begin resuming after renaming it. I've used Napigator & an old version of Napster, or an old version of NFS ...one of SuxXx's tool's ...to find the file on one of the many servers in the first place, and joined two mp3's that had nothing whatsoever to do with each other just for the hell of it. Naturally, it's good for resuming what you know is the same file. I've used the same method to resume what I figured was probably the same file because of the bitrate and size, but they were just named differently. One must be careful of this because that's how you get the "glitches" in the middle of the song at the resume point if they were not really the same file. In fact, you can get quite a "shriek" in the middle that way.

NFS is good (especially for the rare & obscure) and I still use it ...but usually as a last resort ...because it's not good to not share ...that hurts the entire p2p community. If everybody did that, there'd be nothing on there.
Maze, reckon I'll be playing around with a dat or two and see what happens. Thanks for the great advice and the link to NFS, I'm always on the look out for new toys.

WinMX will do a little "comparison dance" before it will dl the file, it checks to see if the two files do indeed match up that's why I specifically named them. I don't know how any of the other's do their comparing or, like you mentioned, if they compare files at all.

I do know (or at least, observed) that for certain things, OTR shows for example, unless it's an actual incomplete file, they are all exactly the same size when completed regardless of the persons hosting the file.

Sometimes it's just frustrating to dl a hard-to-get file only to find that there's only 1 or 2 out there and you're stuck (perhaps for an eternity) with half an episode. It's also frustrating when you run into users who have it and can't or won't share (but that's another topic entirely lol).

(Multi, by AGn I was referring to AudioGnome).
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote