View Single Post
Old 29-01-02, 02:10 PM   #4
Stoepsel
Waiting For The Night To Fall...

Hi,

I can only speak for WinMX because I don't know much about how other clients treat incomplete downloads...

WinMX keeps information about incomplete files in a simple text files called "imcomplete downloads.txt" (duh!). It says that you shouldn't tamper with that file but I think it should be rather easy to fake an incomplete file that you want to continue.

It seems to me (but I could be wrong) that WinMX doesn't store anything in its incompletely downloaded files apart from the raw data. And since you can only download from one person at the moment (version <= 2.6, multi-sourced downloads in the long awaited version 3.0 coming sometime in 2005 afaik), the incomplete files are always exactly as large as the data already transferred. In Morpheus you often get partial files almost the size of the complete file when you are downloading from more than one user. That's because Morpheus retrieves different parts of the files and allocates its partial files so that the parts that have not been retrieved are left empty.

Additionally, Morpheus adds some extra info at the end of partial files. That's something that WinMX couldn't handle.

So to finally give an answer to the original question:

I personally don't think that WinMX would be able to work with Morpheus files mainly because of the 'full-size' partial files. If it weren't for that, it would be rather simple to 'import' partial Morpheus files into WinMX after stripping off the excess data and using the "Resume from" option.

Of course all this could be complete bollocks in which case I apologize for the waste of bandwidth

Stoepsel