View Single Post
Old 10-07-02, 09:06 PM   #6
alphabeater

Default Re: Re: a new p2p structure

thanks for the responses, there are some interesting ideas here...

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl

It is possible to have verifiable peer identities also on 100 % decentralized networks. This requires that any two peers communicating with each other for the first time establish a protected communication channel between them and exchange dedicated encryption keys that they can use in their future communications to verify each other's identity. Using encrypted 1-to-1 communications all the way they can maintain an elementary trust relationship on which trusted groups and communities can be built.
this is an excellent point - i hadn't thought of encryption, although it could possibly become a little cumbersome with large numbers of people involved. for 1-to-1 communication, however, it would provide an extra layer of insurance - being especially useful if the identities were somehow removed temporarily, in that other communication methods such as email could be used to re-establish contact between the two peers.

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl

AudioGalaxy made important contributions to the idea of social self-organization but in the centralized environment. I trust that similar ideas will inevitably find their way also to the decentralized p2p, making way for even more exciting applications and networks.
i loved audiogalaxy, and found it to be superior even to napster at its peak. audiogalaxy-style communities could start on a network of this type if some of the users were willing to run 'indexes' of the network, or individual features like forums, chatrooms and so on using the already-established identities. this would be a great way for a community to grow, and would provide true flexibility, as everyone would have the ability to do whatever they wanted to help the network without having to download and configure a seperate and far more complicated server application.

Quote:
Originally posted by goldenrod

Anyone remember the proggie that combined filesharing with the AOL IM and buddy lists?
i think you're thinking of aimster (now pretty much dead and known as madster). this seemed like a good idea, but turned out to be more of a gimmick, and just decreased the program's reliability by forcing it to rely on two login servers instead of just one. i never managed to get a single successful download from aimster, and resented the clunky integration with aol im - aimster ran at startup whenever you turned on your computer, just in case you decided to use aol that day!

it's probably better in the long run to create a new im network to 'piggyback' a p2p network on, as relying on existing ones would also mean keeping all of their faults.

ps. thanks for all the welcomes, i'm liking it more here every minute!

alphabeater is offline   Reply With Quote