View Single Post
Old 12-09-02, 01:03 AM   #4
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

Ryuichi Sakamoto has nearly 100 albums... and they are all good, but not all "new age." Been a big fan since the Yellow Magic Orchestra days and searched largely in vain for many of his early recordings. Recently scored Left Handed Dream, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, Neo Geo and YMO-BGM from ebay, about which I am elated. You can probably find Discord, Beauty and BTTB (all recommended, especially Discord) Also look for Zero Landmine (more "world" than "new age" but still awesome) and other collaborations with David Sylvian such as Forbidden Colours or Heartbeat.

Speaking of David Sylvian, try Alchemy, Words With The Shaman, Approaching Silence or his collaborations with Holger Czukay: Plight and Premonition and Flux and Mutability. Also you might try (although they are songs with vocals) his collaborations with Russell Mills: How Safe is Deep or Room of Sixteen Shimmers. If you like those, try him with Fripp in the songs Damage or The First day and with Nicola Alesini & Pier Andreoni from the album Marco Polo in the songs Come Morning, The Golden Way or Maya. Beautiful stuff.

The Brian Eno albums Discreet Music, Music For Airports and On Land would be excellent choices. Apollo (with Daniel Lanois) is breathtaking. Neroli or Thursday Afternoon would be good choices too, but they are hour long pieces.

Just about all of Harold Budd's work would be recommendable too. Try The Pearl or The Plateaux of Mirror (both with Eno) or anything from Lovely Thunder, The White Arcades, The Room, The Serpent in Quicksilver/Abandoned Cities, or very especially The Pavilion of Dreams. Extraordinary floating keyboard works. The Moon and The Melodies is also great. (with the Cocteau Twins)

Jon Hassell: The Surgeon of the Nightsky Restores Dead Things By the Power of Sound is a favorite, as well as anything from Dream Theory in Malaya, Aka Dabari Java, or Fascinoma. Highly ethereal world flavored stuff.

Anything you can find by L. Subramaniam. Look especially for Kalyani. If you like that you might also like Gopal Shankar Misra, Out of Stillness.

Lisa Gerrard. Especially The Mirror Pool.

Speaking of 4ad bands, try the songs Song To The Siren or Another Day by This Mortal Coil. These two songs have made many die hard This Mortal Coil fans right before my eyes.

Peter Gabriel's Passion or Birdy would be classics, as well as his recent The Long Walk Home. Or try the songs Low Light and Time of The Turning from Ovo. (with Elizabeth Fraser) And, speaking of Enigma, Peter Gabriel and Deep Forest's While The Earth Sleeps is great.

The album Crimsworth by Bill Nelson.

The group Anuna are fabulous. Three albums: self-titled, Invocation and Omnis. "New age" arrangements of ancient music mostly, ala Hildagard Von Bingen. (the modern recordings of whom would also be a great choice)

Coyote Oldman. Modern Native American Flute Musics.

In a more traditional "new age" vein there's always George Winston; December and Winter Into Spring are new age classics. I'd put some of Mike Oldfield's early work in this category too, in fact I've always thought of him as a sort of "new age pioneer." Ommadawn and Incantations are particularly beautiful albums.

Ok, I'm tired of thinking. Happy Hunting.
Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote