View Single Post
Old 14-04-04, 02:08 AM   #2
daddydirt
even the losers

as long as we're still playing the blame game, we should at least have some fun with it. feel free to choose your own personal favorite.

let's blame Clinton!

Clinton-Clinton bo binton
bo nanna fanna fo finton
fee fi mo minton.........Clinton.

of course, if you get tired of playing, perhaps the following article from Time magazine 05/27/2002 might interest you. or not.

...an Agent Speaks Out Against the Blame Game

Quote:
Everyone is caught up in the blame game. But nobody talks much about the fact that the now-famous Phoenix FBI memo, which warned last July that terrorists might be studying in American flight schools, is hardly unusual. The memo raised the possibility of attacks similar to what occurred. But reams of other, equally plausible memos--written before and after 9/11--are in the files as well. A constant stream of theories and proposals comes from FBI field offices to the bureau's headquarters in Washington. We agents see things we think are worth a closer look. We recommend opening a case. We recommend a wiretap, an undercover operation or around-the-clock surveillance. But all proposals need to be reviewed for legality, practicality and the potential of public backlash.

If the Holland Tunnel in New York City imploded from a terrorist attack tomorrow, you could then find official memos about the vulnerability of that tunnel. Convicted terrorists are in prison now for conspiring to take it out. But that doesn't mean we should close it down or round up the Muslims who drive through it every day.

The Phoenix memo's main proposal--a nationwide sweep of flight schools in search of al-Qaeda terrorists--now appears to be solid and rational. But if I had been a unit chief at FBI headquarters reading it last summer, my first thought would have been that such a sweep would lead to a massive hue and cry over "profiling" of Muslims. I would have been disinclined to push the memo upstairs. To justify such a sweep would have required far more than knowing that bin Laden was possibly trying to hijack a plane.

Politicians and the media are talking about a failure to connect the dots, and the FBI and CIA can do more to share information with each other and local police. (Since 9/11, the bureau has been sharing raw reports just so it is not accused of holding anything back.) But I have not seen any pre-9/11 dots that could have been connected, at least with the FBI operating under current laws and guidelines. If we want to throw away most of the requirements for due process, then there is a lot more the FBI and police could do. But does the country want to go there?

I don't think so. The public expects FBI agents to use instinct to surgically extract terrorists from society--and to do it without inconveniencing the public or infringing on innocent lives. Americans have unrealistic expectations about what law enforcement can do in a society in which personal freedom is deemed more important than public safety. Americans say they will give anything to be safe from terrorists. They don't really mean it. They would rather live in a free society than be completely safe. That means some dots won't ever be connected.
The agent, a veteran of the Federal Bureau of Investigation, asked to remain anonymous.
daddydirt is offline   Reply With Quote