View Single Post
Old 30-10-06, 10:32 PM   #13
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

It's an interesting chain of thought, knife, but it doesn't explain al-Qaeda's motive. What are the long term stakes from their point of view? Why do they want us to stay in Iraq? We've been told that the Iraq war has always been a neocon strategy for American hegemony. But if what you're saying is true, could al-Qaeda have lured us into Iraq instead?

The PNAC conspiracy and the al-Qaeda-wants-America-in-Iraq conspiracy seem to contradict each other.

The "jihadist" you quote just sounds like an al-Qaeda fanboy who understands neither American politics nor militant Islamist strategy. Someone who actually knew what al-Qaeda wanted wouldn't be so public with his speculations, not even to post them in an Arabic language forum. He's probably a guy not unlike some of us who posts wild ideas in public forums to provoke wild responses.

Meanwhile, the translator of the above analysis gives good advice:
Quote:
To be totally clear, I am not saying that Americans should vote for Democrats because an anonymous poster on a jihadi forum says that al-Qaeda wants the Republicans to win. That would be as stupid as saying that Americans should vote for Republicans because al-Qaeda wants Democrats to win. I don't actually think that al-Qaeda should get a vote at all, either in our elections or in what we do about Iraq, and don't want partisans on either side to leap on this as either "proof that al-Qaeda votes Republican" or "proof that al-Qaeda recites liberal talking points".
Take heed, my friend. Don't let foreign interests influence your God-given right to vote your conscience. Al-Qaeda-al-Schmaeda.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote