View Single Post
Old 01-09-06, 11:09 PM   #11
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

Q: How much percent of enriched uranium does it takes to make a rod and how much does it take to make a nuke?

A: I am not sure why you ask, but the info follows. The best I can figure is that your point is reactor fuel can not be used to make a fissile nuclear bomb.

As per my understanding that’s true, a higher degree of enrichment and other processing is needed to make a nuclear bomb.

The term “enriched uranium” is generic, there are a number of levels of enrichment.

Natural uranium is mostly U238, and contains something less than 0.8% U235. Enrichment processes increase the U235 content in the processed material.

Reactor fuel U235 concentration requirements depend on reactor type.

Natural uranium (about 0.7% U235) or slightly enriched uranium (about 1%-2% U235) can be used in heavy water reactors.

Light water reactors (the most common kind) can use low enriched uranium (around 4% U235).

Minimum U235 concentration that could make a crude weapon is about 20%.

Weapon grade U235 concentration is commonly 85% or more.

Plutonium, not U235 is the active ingredient in a (modern implosion) fissile bomb. Plutonium is a transuranium element, Pu239 is the necessary isotope.

A sphere of fissile material (plutonium) the size of a regulation baseball, undergoing a nuclear chain reaction explosion will release approximately as much energy as detonating a container filled with TNT the size of Yankee Stadium. (according to the old AEC training films I saw)

One kilogram of Pu239 = about 22 million kilowatt hours heat energy or about 20 kilotons TNT as an explosion.

BTW, I don't recall any discussion of uranium enrichment and nuclear reactors when and where I went to school. Hyperbolic: Maybe I missed the chemistry class session where they taught you how to make nuclear reactors and nuclear bombs.

My previous point has IMO not been diminished, pursuit of uranium enrichment by Iran is unquestionably for the creation of fissile nuclear weapons.

@RDixon: The Korea matter is being addressed, it's not like absolutely nothing is being done. Standard procedures have to be applied - diplomatic solutions must be tried. Regarding Iran: It is the current leadership and situation in Iran that I am concerned about. I know all I need to know about Iran on the current subject.

There are a number of countries other than the U.S. that have serious concerns over the Iranian uranium enrichment program.

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.

Last edited by Drakonix : 02-09-06 at 02:20 AM. Reason: clarity improvement - plutonium in modern bombs
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote