View Single Post
Old 15-07-01, 10:36 PM   #2
mike4947
I'd rather be sailing

A few disjointed thoughts for RM

1) Hackers don't need incentive, they hack because it is there

B) Looking at the Jupiter hit list, music downloads still range as a small minority of the total, why should a majority pay for the minority

III) I for one don't want my ISP logging what kind of music I download and selling the results to the highest bidder.

4) How's this, do like what TV will be doing shortly, and music city has done for a local example, Don't try and fix the playing field so you can't play unless they want you to; Move to a new playground. HDTV will be for years complatable with regular brocasting, BUT, sooner or later you'll have to get an HDTV to watch reruns of Bonanza cause regular broadcast will be gone. Rumours abound about wanting to hitch things to an HDTV set to do all kinds of nasty things.

E) A blanket "tax" on recording media has been in place for some time, BUT, look closely only "music" quality media gets the tax, "data" quality media is without the tax. Seems the only quality difference according to reports is in the labeling. :
My ISP has already replied to requests for sanctions against copyright violators by saying they won't monitor user usage without a court order. So now we're in the legal field and with the length of time it looks like will be involved, you are creating a legacy for your great,great, grandchildren.

Let's just agree advertising doesn't work to pay for the mess, another system has to be found for fairness. But they still have to block the "free" channels.:ND