View Single Post
Old 27-12-06, 03:31 PM   #8
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

Quote:
Another point is that the 3 thousand(or 2,793 for you sticklers) that died on Sept. 11 were civilians, not military as you pointed out. If we count up all the dead civilians in Iraq the total will be much higher. Even the families and loved ones of the dead Iraqii civilians probably don't care about frequency of death as much as the death itself.
I agree that the survivors probably don’t care much for the statistics being tossed about.

However, a comparison between military deaths in Iraq and civilian deaths on 09/11/2001 is the topic of this thread.

If you wish to open the example to the entire five year period and encompass Iraqi civilians who died, it’s easy to expand the comparison to include the entire 5 year period instead of the minimum necessary 883 minutes.

24 hours per day X 60 minutes per hour = 1440 minutes per day
365 days per year X 5 years = 1825 days
1825 - 1 day less due to leap year = 1824 days in the 5 year period
1824 days X 1440 minutes per day = 2,626,560 minutes in the 5 year period

2, 626,560 minutes X 33 deaths per minute at the 9/11 death rate = 86,676,480 deaths, or nearly four times the population of Iraq. The population of Iraq (according to http://www.arab.de/arabinfo/iraq.htm ) is 22,219,289 using a 1997 estimation.

As I said previously:
Any amount of deaths is bad, but which death toll do you prefer - 2,973 deaths in 90 minutes by NOT fighting terrorists OR 2,793 deaths in 5 years by fighting terrorists?

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote