View Single Post
Old 18-06-08, 01:25 AM   #30
Šiego
Alpha Stoner

Not at all. McCain has changed his stances on the issues, Obama has not. 'Everyone does it' is a cop-out. You know damn well that should Obama change his stance the GOP would have it all over the press. And so all they can do is down-play McCain's flip-flops.

The supposed 'maverick' of the Republican party, forging his own way, he has repeatedly reversed long-held positions and compromised what he has called his core principles. Then he's denied doing it. Then he's denied denying it.

What happened to his stance on campaign reform? What happened to his stance on torture? Special interests? Lobbyists? Off-shore drilling? Immigration reform? Gay marriage? Bush's tax-cuts? Ethanol? Surveillance of the American public? Telco immunity? Gun control? The mortgage crisis? Social security? The list goes on and on.

I'll use Social Security 'privatization' as an example.

John McCain, last week: "But I'm not for, quote, 'privatizing' Social Security. I never have been, I never will be."

John McCain in 2004: "Without privatization, I don't see how you can possibly, over time, make sure that young Americans are able to receive Social Security benefits." [C-Span Road to the White House, 11/18/2004]

John McCain in March: "As part of Social Security reform, I believe that private savings accounts are a part of it - along the lines of what President Bush proposed. I campaigned in support of President Bush's proposal and I campaigned with him, and I did town hall meetings with him." [Wall Street Journal, 3/3/08]

Which one is the 'straight-talk'? You would be hard pressed to name an issues he hasn't pandered on, then lied about pandering on, then lied about lying about pandering on. To be honest, you can't tell who he is or what he believes, but you can tell it would be a presidency governed by whomever he feels he has to please at the moment.

Š

There's only one way off so you might as well enjoy the ride..

Naphoria - P2P Portal www.naphoria.com/chat

Napsterites mIRC v2 | Napsterites Chat

Last edited by Šiego : 18-06-08 at 03:12 AM.
Šiego is offline   Reply With Quote