View Single Post
Old 07-09-02, 07:22 AM   #28
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by kento
please someone say it isn't so...if no one else is experienced with ftp RATIO sites i will explain the horrors of them and how they have failed miserable for me and the times i have "lost credits" for files shared...if it happens so easily on these "ratio ftp sites" just imagine the utter failure it will experience in DECENTRALISED p2p without enforcements for "fair play"
Kento, I think there are very few people who would like to have anything like ratio FTP recreated in p2p. Leech control is a good and much needed functionality but there are way more intelligent ways to implement it than ratio FTP's mechanical requirement to upload a certain amount of stuff to be able to download a certain amount of stuff. First, it deals only with 1-to-1 relations, missing the inherent power of p2p to match the needs and offerings of multiple people. Second, it does not take into account the quality and desirability of the content at all.

I won't go deeper into this here as this thread is about identity management. Just to sum it up, a reliable identity system is needed to have a reliable leech control system. There are numerous ways to proceed with leech control once you have reliable identities but that technology deserves a separate dedicated discussion.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote