View Single Post
Old 10-05-02, 03:23 PM   #10
spstn
No Nonsense Nonsense

Default Changing the Default Action for VBS Scripts to Edit

Hi guys-gals

This is my first post here. I found the following information in another post and filed it for future reference.

" Changing the Default Action for VBS Scripts to Edit.

You can change the default action for .VBS, .VBE, .JS, .JSE and .WSH files. When installed, these extensions are configured to default to 'Open'. If this default action is changed to 'Edit', scripts will open in a text editor instead of executing, which effectively renders them harmless.

To change the default action for these three extensions:

1) Open up 'Windows Explorer'
2) Under the 'View' menu select 'Options…' or 'Folder Options…'
3) Single click on the 'File Types' tab
4) Scroll down the list until you find 'VBScript Script File'. Single click on it and click the 'Edit…' button
5) Where it says 'Actions' look for 'Edit'. Single click on it and then click the button that says 'Set Default'
6) Click the 'Close' button
7) Repeat steps 4-6 for 'VBScript Encoded Script File' (skip this step if it is not listed)
8) Repeat steps 4-6 for 'JScript Script File'
9) Repeat steps 4-6 for 'JScript Encoded Script File'
10) Repeat steps 4-6 for 'Windows Scripting Host Settings File'

Now VBS scripts, which is how these virii are spreading, will just open harmlessly in notepad. Problem solved.

After neutering the Script Files you can go to your shared folder and delete the little buggers!! "

Credits: This clip was taken from another post, may be even from this forum, I apologize for not remembering from where, exactly. So if someone else recognize her-his post feel free to claim authorship. I'm just passing it around. This is as simple as effective a measure. I've done it, tested it, and worked like a charm.
Hope it helps.
spstn is offline   Reply With Quote