View Single Post
Old 29-05-06, 08:22 PM   #4
theknife
my name is Ranking Fullstop

both orthodox liberal and orthodox conservative ideology represent two extremes at each of the end of the political spectrum - seems to me that the kind of government that works for it's people would lie somewhere in the middle. obviously, the Great Society programs of the 60's and the resulting welfare state they created highlight the flaws in liberal ideology. but some judiciously applied government intervention can be enourmously beneficial to a society as well - the railroads of the 19th century and the Internet of the 20th century are prime examples. health care comes to mind as well - i've had government-controlled health care (Washington State Basic Health Care, back in the early 90's) and it worked a hell of a lot better than what i have now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakonix
Well said.

Expanding the power of Government at the expense of individual freedoms IS the liberal agenda. The end result is the destruction of the United States as a country. Pure and simple, it's communism - proven by history to be an ineffective form of government. In the end the government has everything and the people have little, and are completely dependent on the government for everyday life needs.

This is why I am a conservative Republican.
i would think you'd be more inclined to libertarianism, at this point - it's a lot closer to true conservatism than anything the Republicans have brought you. six years of a Republican administration, rubber-stamped by a Republican-led Congress have led to a massive expansion of the power of government - at the expense of both individual freedom and the Constitution.
theknife is offline   Reply With Quote