View Single Post
Old 11-03-04, 11:46 PM   #7
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

This is the 'Mazer decided to participate' thread. Aren't you just a little exicted?

I only said I agreed with Mr. Card on the subject, but I didn't say it was reasonable. He's a doomsayer to be sure, maybe that's something that comes with age and the onset of paranoia, I guess I'll find out in about twenty five years or so. However, by that time I hope to have a well rounded family to guard from the rest of the world, so perhaps I will reach that paranoid stage much sooner. So it isn't Card's opinion that I defend, it is myself and my family.

My own opinion is that such things as widespread divorce, teen pregnancy, and adultery are in fact bad things. I think those are givens. I'm not a historian, and I wasn't around when divorce was taboo, but I do believe that the changes in the institution of family that have taken place over the past few decades cannot be called progress.

Nobody disputes that gays play important roles in society, there's plenty of work for every American to do. If they want to pair up and live together that's fine, I don't really care, and it doesn't diminish their importance in public life. However, I don't see what gay marraige does to enhance their positions in society or the contributions they make. What can a married gay couple do that an unmarried gay couple can't do?

The idea of state sanctioned gay marraige isn't only what makes me mad, it's the fact that a federal court took it upon itself to decide what was best for civilization. The court is not meant to be a legislative body, what the Massachusetts Supreme Court did was unconstitutional, and the same could be said for the US Supreme Court as well. I didn't elect those judges, they don't represent me, and yet they think they have the authority to amend the law. It took a three quarter majority of all the states' legislatures to ratify the 13th amendment of the Constitution. The framers understood that when the time comes to cause social upheaval to right certain wrongs that are ingrained in our society, as slavery was at the time, that you better ask everyone. But this federal court decided to sidestep the Constitutional process and that doesn't sit well with me.

I'd be damned sure I know what I'm talking about before I label anything hate speech. Hate speech is a dirty and dispicable practice, lower than purgury and on almost par with treason, the accusation of which is not to be taken lightly. Meerly stating a dissenting opinion does not make me a hater. A call to arms? Hardly. Card's article didn't make me want to fight, if anything it disheartened me almost to the point of giving up and taking a vow of celibacy. If people take sexuality, both hetero and homo, this damn seriously then maybe it isn't worth it at all. I don't think this is an issue that Americans are willing to get into an other civil war over. So cool your jets. This discussion, as long as it continues as it has, isn't going to harm anyone.

Edit: amendment corrections

Last edited by Mazer : 19-03-04 at 01:17 AM.
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote