View Single Post
Old 27-01-02, 06:11 PM   #4
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

Thumbs up It works!

Indy has just walked me through using the program. It helps if you know a little bit about how to use DOS. It's not too hard if you don't.

I'll try to explain the sig2dat file:

To get started, there are two files that you can download. The sig2dat file is the "client" side and would be use for people trying to create startfiles from given information. For example, all I have to do is give you a bunch of numbers and letters (similar to the ones you see at the bottom of indy's posts), and also the file size. These two pieces of information act like an ID number like your driver's license or social security number.

All you have to do is open indy's sig2dat file and type in the numbers and it creates a startfile for you. Then all you have to do is open Morpheus/Kazaa/Grokster and it will be in your traffic window ready for downloading.

So what is the dbb2dat file for?

The dbb2dat file is for users who want to make startfiles from files that they have already finished downloading. For example, if you have finished downloading the movie Lord of the Rings all you have to do is open the dbb2dat file and it will create the startfile along with a text file that gives you the file size and long number Indy calls the signature. It good that it gives you both because to give your friend the correct file to download you can either tell the two ID numbers or just email them the startfile you just created.

Your friend might not have the sig2dat tool, so also having the startfile means that your friend only has to copy it into their "my shared folder" and it will automatically work.

So how do you use it?

Ok here's the trick part, it may sound hard but it's not as difficult as it sounds. I'm going to try and create a better manual later. Download the two programs. (the links are in indy's post). Now follow these steps:

dbb2dat file:
1. unzip the dbb2dat program in your Morpheus folder
2. you will see 4 items: a startfile folder, a 10c_readme text file, a dbb2dat.exe file, and a dbb2dat.ini file

sig2dat file:
1. unzip the sig2dat program in your Morpheus folder also
2. you will see 2 items: a 10a_readme_sig2dat text file, and sig2dat.exe file

Ok now you got the programs in the right location, it's time to make startfiles: The following instructions depends on where you installed Morpheus. I've installed Morpheus in my program files in c:

1. you need to open MSDOS:
a. go to your start menu (left bottom corner of tool bar)
b. select programs-> then accessories-> then MSDOS prompt

2. it will give you a window and will mostly likely say c:\windows

3. type cd\ you should now see only c:\

4. type cd "program files"
or wherever you place Morpheus, you should now see c:\program files

5. now type cd morpheus
you should now see c:\program files\morpheus

6. find a file in My Shared Folder that you want to make a startfile
of, for example Lord of the Rings

7. type in dbb2dat "Lord of the Rings"
it is case sensitive so you have to use capital letter if your file
has them

8. it will give you a some information but what you need to check
is this:
info: write ".\startfiles\kazaadownload- Lord of the Rings.avi.dat

there will also be a readme file and a .avi.txt file

9. open your startfile folder and you'll see the startfile along with a text file. open the text file and you will find the two ID numbers that you can give to people if they have the sig2dat tool.

using the sig2dat tool

1. follow the instructions 1-5 above or just click on the sig2dat.exe icon (for some of you it will automatically bring up the DOS window and brings you where you need to be)

2. if you go through steps 1-5 again the you will see
c:\program files\morpheus...don't do steps 1-5 if you are already there

3. type sig2dat (double clicking on sig2dat.exe will also get you here)
it will give you some information and then write
enter download filename:

4. whatever you type here will be the name of the startfile
for example: typing in just the word Lord will give you this file name-> kazaadownload-Lord
typing in Lord of the Rings will get you-> kazaadownload-Lord of the Rings

5. next it will ask for the filesize and after that the signature (hex- hex) those two pieces of information was giving when you created the startfile from the dbb2dat tool

6. now start Morpheus and it should show up

Ok that was long but I think I explained it easy enough for almost everyone to try it out. Indy, if you see any problems then please add your comment.
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote