View Single Post
Old 07-09-02, 11:33 AM   #64
Gutrguy
Semiblind

Default alpha/beta

Ill be willing to be one of the testers...

Ideas....
User Rating System - That way if a person decides to be an asshole leach, you can rate them as a "leeching fool" If someone shares shitty files, misnames files, you could rate them as "Bunk-er" (as in sharing bunk/fake files) If you spot someone sharing one of those shitty mp3.vbs file, lable them as "User is a Virus" as to let others know not to download from this user. Also include good rating options for the users who keep your network up and running. Some sort of user rating system where you can tell who you can download from and who you should stay away from would be a great addition.

It would be nice to have some sort of Java IRC in the program where the registered user name is used on a IRC server. Also have only 1 chat room, so anyone that wants to chat can talk to EVERYONE, and not be segregated boy any means. If you want some more info on the jIRC idea, PM me and we can work something out.

Some sort of availability feature would be cool too, say you search for Lord Of the Rings, and you return 50 different files. All files with the same hash could be codences into 1 name, with stars, or some other graphic next to the title to show that lots of people have this file rather than just a few.

Have some sort of help and support page in the program, I like to keep my open windows to a minimum, so why not make a tab in the program where you can have a programmer based FAQ, and maybe a forum where the programmer actually communicates with the users. Also a user based help and support forum section. Forums that are media specific so users can find out about new and different artists, the newest movies that are out, etc.

Some way to tell how far back in a que you are. I dont like the idea of having a higher priority for ques.....that seems like it would make some users feel like they are not as important as other users, and if you are trying to build a good "community" atmosphere you want everyone to feel like they are doing their part and that they are important, because if they dont feel like they are importand (ie: you want them there) they will go and find some other program and that will be one less user on YOUR network.

Keep the install program as small as possible, users dont like bload-ware / spy-ware / ad-ware in the programs.

You could have 2 builds of this where the standard download has AD Suppors (but no kind of tracking, spyware) and then have a "Pro" version where the user donates your company a small sum of money and you have the ads removed. Some sort of security feature would be needed for that, i dunno how hard that would be...just something to think about.

IM and hotlist type features sound great.

Skin-a-bility would be really cool

If there is a way that you could set it up so that when you want to preview a file, it will open in the computers default application for that program, wheather a user likes to use WMP, Real Player, Winamp, or the DivX Playa....That way you dont have to worry about programming in a player.

Some kind of Media Manager, so a user can create folders, rename files, and move files between folders would be good. This would also help cut down on lots of open windows and also save the user some (even if a little) some of their system memory and processing power.

Thats about all i can think of for now... Good luck with the programming.

Gutr
Gutrguy is offline   Reply With Quote