View Single Post
Old 21-01-02, 01:37 PM   #13
goldie
yea, it's me.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ramona_A_Stone
After my immersion in the file trade, I'd have to say I haven't forgotten anything. I didn't sleep for a year while binging and purging every memory cell in my brain, and being raised on radio, I became extremely bulimic.

I'm Just gonna stop now, I've already embarrassed myself enough. (I can't believe I mentioned the Lulu. Thank god I had the good sense not to mention the Petula Clark or the Barry Manilow)

Then I'm embarrassed right there with you

Downtown brings back the memory of being about 5 years old, sitting in the backseat of my dad's big ole buick, coming from my grandparent's house in Downtown Center City Philadelphia. It was raining cats and dogs, it was night time and the city looked so very different than it did during the day time hours. Everything was all shiny and the subway entrances looked like the big gaping mouth of a monster ready to swallow up the world. There were no people walking about, traffic lights were changing when no cars were even in the intersection and being a little kid, I was scared crapless and couldn't wait to get home lol.

Downtown came on just when I thought our buick was the only car left on the planet. I wondered how come MY view of the city didn't match Petula's perspective of the city. It happened to be one of the first songs I ever downloaded.

As a teen, I had the BIGGEST crush on Barry Manilow. He could have been singing Looks Like We Made It, Mandy and Magic just to me and me alone!

I also loved hearing Tony Orlando and Dawn, Knock Three Times, Tie A Yellow Ribbon and He Don't Love You (Like I Love You). My kids think me straight out of the cornfield when I'm in the mood for Tony! I liked watching the tv show too.

Jefferson Airplane/Starship's Miracles - the LONG version mind you, has got to be the biggest turn on tune for me EVER. Well, along with another 50 or so "favorites"!

Neil Sedaka, Laughter in the Rain, Neil and Elton John's Bad Blood, Valerie Carter's, Ooh Child, Steely Dan's, FM, Do It Again, Dusty Springfield's, Preacher's Son, Vicki Lawrence's, The Night that the Lights Went Out in Georgia. Woohoo!

You're right! There are just so many songs from the past and perhaps you've got the best idea of all: setting the jukebox to random and letting it pick any and everything.

Here's to the not-so forgotten tunes of the past! May they live on forever in our hearts and hard drives!!

GR
goldie is offline   Reply With Quote