View Single Post
Old 22-11-04, 06:51 AM   #53
gregorio

Quote:
Originally Posted by albed
I don't define ethical standards anywhere in this thread. Oops! Forgot that your reality is what you choose to believe.
But you do have ethical standards, don't you?
Quote:
No I don't have some profile and never said I did.
It's a subconscious type of thing really.
Quote:
If that were true I'd believe space aliens built the pyramids and other ridiculous information I've received. I've discarded plenty of information so I hope you'll acknowledge that I don't blindly rely on it.
It's not about discarding some information. It's about questioning all information and being ready to accept that most of the information you previously believed may turn out to be false or at least very unreliable at some point. Once you have seen that, you can either continue questioning what you believe to be true right now - or you can choose to continue believing.

Quote:
Like I said before, you're assuming what people say about their beliefs is the truth. If you study psychology you'll find scientific studies showing that on certain subjects, particularly religion, many people lie about their true beliefs. So they're likely not as weak minded and irrational as you assume.
Did you find any of these scientific studies or do you just believe in their existence? What you actually say is that people don't really believe in God. Independent of whether there are studies trying to prove that or not, given the role religion has played in our history and still plays, I don't find that very likely.

Quote:
You're also once again deciding what I would do in your hypothetical circumstances. You just can't help yourself can you?
Yes, that's the fun thing about hypothetical situations.

Quote:
No need to get all pompous here. I'd challenge you to produce a proof but there's no telling what bullshit you'll make up. Reality is the universe we exist in, truth is the mental model of reality. There is only one of each.
You think, therefore you are. That is the one fundamental truth you can absolutely be sure of. What else do you know? Nothing. What you remember from your past could be fake. Maybe it was a dream. Maybe you are delusional. Maybe all your memories are the result of some sort of conditioning. What you see, what you hear, everything you perceive maybe fake too. Maybe you are under the influence of drugs.
So, what do you actually know about reality or the truth? Nothing. You can assume that what you remember was really the way you remembered it. You can assume what you see is some glimpse of reality.
But consider this, you are meeting an old friend from school, you talk about a particular event of which either of you has a slightly different memory. You have to admit that stuff like that happens occasionally, - how will you ever find out that your memory serves you right?
Given all this, do you really think, you know the truth or reality? Isn't it possible that you are wrong and I am right?

And I am going to tell you, you are wrong. I am right. And I'm not going to prove it to you, because I can't, as well as you can't prove the opposite. But I can argue that my explanation of the world is much more plausible than yours and therefore we should agree that it is true until somebody comes up with a better explanation.
gregorio is offline   Reply With Quote