View Single Post
Old 20-11-04, 11:30 PM   #43
albed
flippin 'em off

Quote:
Originally Posted by albed
The truth can't contradict itself. You can claim lies are true but your credibility drops each time you go on record and soon you'll be ignored as just another slimeball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorio
There are two mistakes in your reasoning:
First, you seem to assume that you can identify any lie. You cannot. Most information you receive, can not be verified by yourself.
I can identify nutcases and disreputable media organizations easily enough through their lack of ethical standards and compare them to people and organizations who value their reputation and adhere to high standards as well as simple logic and my own experience of what lying lowlifes are like and do quite well in identifying lies.

Quote:
If it appears likely enough, you will just believe it. And if you wait just long enough, most of the information won't even be physically verifiable. For all we know, the ancient cultures of Rome, Egypt or Greece may have been made up by someone else.
You seem to assume I know as little as you. I know more than enough than to even consider they could be made up.

Quote:
Second, you seem to believe that people prefer the truth over a good lie. They don't. Lies can often be much easier to understand and to accept as the truth. Why do you think people believe in God? Do we have any proof that he exists? No. Does it seem even likely that he exists, according to science? No. So - logically - God is most probably a lie. Yet so many people firmly believe that there is a God. They do so for many reasons but basically it is just convenient for them if there is a God, a form of higher justice, a legitimation for their own actions and a deeper meaning of life.
People choose a reality that appears likely they call it truth and call anyone who refuses it a liar.
What people claim to believe and what they actually do believe are often two different things. Compare their behaviour in supposed privacy to their public rhetoric to find out their true beliefs or offer a reward and see if they change their professed beliefs or even consider that they might be like you and lie to others for their own benefit.

Truth and reality aren't matters of opinion, they have established defintions and standards of proof. You can claim otherwise but you've already begun demonstrating what your opinion is worth.
albed is offline   Reply With Quote