View Single Post
Old 26-01-04, 01:22 AM   #2
Drakonix
Just Draggin' Along

Good post!

I generally agree with what you have said. I'm older (49) so I remember the Vietnam era well. The draft was on then, I registered for the draft as required. I had considered that my life would probably end in the jungles of 'nam, but I never got called up. I did end up doing a short stint as a civilian at a Naval Air Rework facility, working on airborne weapons. It was interesting work and I liked it, but I got laid off.

There's not a whole lot of choice for a President when things like 09/11/2001 happen. Lots of folks disagree with the invasion of Iraq. Unfortunately, something less would IMO be akin to letting the terrorists kill who they please with impunity - and that is obviously not acceptable. Simply stated, it was valid circumstances and proper time to do unto others before they do unto us. A delicate and touchy matter, but established in fact with or without an existing WMD stockpile.

Folks that criticize Bush seem to forget there have been existing chemical and biological weapons and manufacturing capabilities found in Iraq since the 90's. Mustard Gas shells, anthrax capabilities, castor beans (the source of the potent toxin ricin), traces of sarin, and prohibited longer range missiles. Saddam and friends say it was all destroyed in the early 90's. There are probably small stockpiles of such weapons still buried in the desert sands. Larger items, such as prohibited fighter aircraft have been uncovered buried in this manner. Iraq is a big place, it’s difficult to run all the sand through a sieve. Saddam might not even know where the stuff is, his sons might have - but they are both dead. Workers who buried the stuff were probably killed so that they could not reveal the location later.

The events that happened on 09/11/2001 were the culmination of years of planning and training by terrorists. It's effects will last forever. It's unfortunate that such conflicts exist where military and civilians die. Such is the price of freedom and liberty.

One of the reasons we were able to get Saddam is that he was a hated tyrant. His own people hated him so much they would betray him as long as they figured they could do so without being killed, tortured, or imprisoned. Sadly, Bin Laden is not this way. There is considerable respect for him amongst his people, and they will not be as willing to point soldiers to his location. Getting Bin Laden is likely to be a long effort.

The U.S. Government isn't perfect, and I do not blindly agree with everything it does. I do agree with Bush that a (global) war against terrorism is necessary for the security of all. It's a formidable but necessary undertaking. A lot of the success of this undertaking depends on how other countries support it. At the moment it seems hopeful.

I will never spend a another dime on content that I can’t use the way I please. If I can’t copy it to my hard drive and play it using the devices I want, when and where I want, I won’t be buying it. Period. They can all take their DRM, broadcast flags, rootkits, and Compact Discs that aren’t really compact discs and shove them up their bottom-lines.
Drakonix is offline   Reply With Quote