View Single Post
Old 01-04-02, 09:23 AM   #12
TankGirl
Madame Comrade

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Shani

as for WinMX im really warming upto it... really reminds me of AudioGnome... i also get alot of queuing but when it works, it really really works.
I have learned to like WinMX as a sharing tool for a number of reasons. It has good queuing and bandwidth controls that allow you to decide how much and in which way you want to share. Version 2.6 has been stable enough to allow running it for days without problems. And the automatic reconnection feature on OpenNap servers relieves you from watching your online status and reconnecting manually should you drop off from your favorite server.

If you have been only on WPNP so far try OpenNap servers - there's a world of difference between the two. My experience is that there is much more leeching and much less social life on WPNP compared to the OpenNap networks - and with the social life come the 1-to-1 sharing/trading contacts that in the long run are much more valuable than any single downloads. Sharing on WinMX has provided me with a number of great ICQ trading contacts and even better, given me access to luxurious private FTP servers with amazing collections of original high-bitrate rips with scans etc. - pretty much one can wish for...

So my advice is: don't be put off if you hit some long queues when first trying to search for your favorite artist on WinMX... rather keep sharing lots of good stuff for a while, see that your privacy settings (Hotlist | Privacy Level..) allow messages from everybody and sooner or later you will come across people that share your musical interests and are willing to provide you not only what you were looking for but much more...

Most of the above applies to audioGnome as well. It is a good OpenNap client that I have used a lot. It used to have a better user interface than WinMX that was very messy earlier on. Lately WinMX has luckily become tolerable - although far from perfect - in this respect. Unfortunately audioGnome's own serverless network PNN is not as functional and interesting as WinMX's WPNP. Despite the leeches WPNP does have a very large user base (as napho just reported to us, thanks! ) and it is nice to take an occasional 'walk on the wild side' of WPNP - with a bit of luck you can find some rare and interesting stuff there and also establish good new contacts. Note that a good part of WPNP users don't even know how to add OpenNap servers to their WinMX or lack the patience to try to get into the heavily overcrowded OpenNap servers.

- tg
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote