View Single Post
Old 17-06-02, 09:21 PM   #23
SA_Dave
Guardian of the Maturation Chamber

Big Laugh

Yay Boolean!

All these points are good. I think one thing wasn't mentioned though...DO NOT include SPYWARE!!!

John Doe brought up a very good point. I like to think of this as prioritising transfers. I mentioned that in my first post. My database idea is somewhat complicated, but I believe that a client with either built-in links or a browser pane, which links directly to a user-maintained db (much like sharereactor, FTCentral, bitzi or p2pmovies) is perfect in this regard. This is probably the best way to emulate the speed & db capabilities of a server-based system in a decentralised network. I recommend you read that entire thread, as well as this one for some ideas. I realise you must be pressed for time which is why I mentioned only those 2, but there are many threads in this forum that deal with people's expectations from/frustrations with p2p clients.

The second topic deals with broadband issues. Your client shouldn't ignore us poor 56K'ers (of which I'm one), but it should also take high-speed users into account. Especially leeching broadband users (it's a problem with all users regardless of connection speed.) Another important point is not to include an option which easily disables sharing. The client should make sharing easy & transparent, without introducing security risks (like Kazaa's ridiculous auto-scanning thingy.) It would be nice if good sharers are given rewards, like receiving priority in queues (especially for rarer files, which in turn will make them more available etc.)

Finally, if you use some sort of community-driven anti-leeching tool (like DC hubs) you should consider all users needs/circumstances. DC is for example too restrictive, elitist & rather unfriendly. I believe a successful client should be modular (eg. if you want to preview, make use of an external player) for stability & backwards compatability purposes. Never underestimate the power of cross-platform, highly stable, easy-for-newbies-to-use, efficient, optimised, low-system-requirements & backwards-compatable software. The more people using it, the better the community. The better the word-of-mouth, the more varied the content as a result of more users. And so on...

I believe that sums it up.
SA_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote