View Single Post
Old 28-02-02, 10:44 AM   #13
Ramona_A_Stone
Formal Ball Proof

I like very little rap, and I'd say I like very little country for the exact same reason: it's become a genre that is so specific and predefined that it doesn't take a helluva lot of imagination to adhere to the formula.

In popular country music, one simply has to have a hick accent and a well known cliché to repeat for the chorus, which should contain either the name of a southern state, a reference to drinking, a patriotic theme, a hard-won admission of tender cowboy feelings, or all of the above. (odd isn't it, that the country boys are encouraged to be extremely, almost pathetically emotional, while the country girls are wont to be surprisingly hard edged and "tough")

At any rate, this formula seems to be very close to the sort of template that's developed for rap music. (talk about your chronic, your bitches, or the trials of being rich and famous--or, if you're a girl, how no man can satisfy you) It's hard to hear this music and realize that the persons making it are not intentionally parodying the whole genre. When you do realize they're not, it's far too late, and you're bored out of your mind. (if you're me, anyway)

I do however appreciate some of the early pioneers of rap, as well as some of the artists that have been able to inject the genre with original ideas and approaches. (which have become more and more rare since, say, the late 80s or early Public Enemy, which was musically delicious--and some who have been original enough to leave the genre altogether) It seems though, for every one of these artists, there are about 100, usually more popular, parrots. (say Eminem, for instance, who would be just another annoying bleached punk without his ready-made formula of cool) Rap, like country, seems to be almost entirely about appealing to the lowest common denominator at this point, and both seem to be more about a business ethic than an actual form of creativity.

In my opinion, pop genre musics should have expiration dates.

"warning, music produced after date marked may be entirely derivative and have a great tendency to become very old very fast""

Keepin' it real, yo.
Ramona_A_Stone is offline   Reply With Quote