Thread: Rock is dead
View Single Post
Old 31-07-02, 02:48 PM   #16
nanook
just one of the gang...

Previously posted by nanook in the "Best Classic Rock Song" thread.......eons ago.

excellent choice!
okay, so i fell in love with elton, whilst listening to Def Leppard
i actually fell in love with such greats as Led Zeppelin, Yes, Pink Floyd, etc..........much later in my high school years, for they were still the musical icons that represented not only "Cool", but they were musical geniuses.
i wrote a post in another forum, concerning whether or not "Rock is Dead?".
especially Classic Rock.
i feel these musical legends slowly slipping away to the "Classic Rock" radio stations. Maybe it is inevitable and the way it is suppose to be. i mean rock from the 50's and 60's have their own radio stations. but i find the only way to get the new and upcoming generations to find and love this classic melee of talent, is, for example, me, mom, listening to it, and then actually watch my daughter create a playlist with these very artist.
15 years old and loving "slowride" by foghat.
so of course, she had to have the "Dazed and Confused" soundtrack. i was pleasantly surprised.
nevertheless, though i am loyal to our "forefathers of rock", i await and enjoy the up and coming talent of the future.
here is a response to my post, a very articulate young lady:

ElvisManson
Board Rookie
Member # 2406
Rate Member
posted 12-18-2001 05:53 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Lamourlady!
Interesting post. I agree with you that the face of Rock has definitely changed over the past couple of decades and of course will continue to do so. So, what consititutes Rock nowadays and how does it measure up to the cultural imperialism that "classic" Rock bands of the 70s, 80's and 90's enjoyed? I hate to say the word (we are all too familiar with the constant mud slinging on this subject these days) but...dare I say Pop? Alright, so here's the argument we all know too well, Rock has become Pop. But has it? Yes, these days commercially released music undoubtedly reaps the benefits of heavier marketing and promotional dollars behind it and we have to ask how does this affect fan culture? With more money driving recordlabels than ever before, does our perception of "Rock" (or is that Pop?) music change? I think it does. The days of the "cult bands" seem to be diminishing - our ears and eyes are more and more inundated with many more acts than ever before. Instead of enjoying and remaining loyal to a small number of omnipresent "classic" bands, we now choose from millions, with new ones appearing each month. Rock bands are marketed as popular music - fans come and go. It's much easier for current bands to fall prey to the one hit wonder syndrome or to maintain their popularity for 2 or 3 albums is an incredible feat in itself, unlike a couple of decades ago when bands continued to release record after record and their fans remained loyal throughout. I do believe, that like any other industry, the music industry runs in cycles, and therefore, we should (hopefully) see a resurgence in "classic" Rock bands soon probably in the form of backlash against Pop Rock. And then again, there are always the diehards of the past who continue to release Indie Rock in the hopes to reach the masses and build loyalty like the old rock bands of yesteryear. There are many like us who still believe in the way it was and bands who continue to live in an Anti-Pop Rock world. Elvis Manson being one of them.

what do u think?

nanook is offline   Reply With Quote