Old 03-06-04, 02:08 AM   #28
daddydirt
even the losers

Quote:
Originally Posted by malvachat
The ones I met and talked to about it seemed to be
quite surportive of Castro.
The Cubans I met were very well educated about the ways of the
world,and blamed the states for most of their problems.
in the 80's i worked with a Cuban refugee named Agustin. he described to me the event which convinced him that his future lay elsewhere.

snack time had arrived at the school where he worked, and the teacher told the small children to bow their heads and pray to God for milk. they did, and no milk appeared. again, the teacher told the children to pray "really hard this time" to God for milk. they did, and once again no milk appeared.

then the teacher told the children to pray to Castro for milk. and by golly, wouldn't you know it, a couple of people brought in some trays of milk for the thirsty kids.

so, at least in the state-sponsored schools, children learned early on that God was worthless, and Castro provided.

i'm certainly not condoning the Battista regime, but it doesn't surprise me in the least the cult of personality that surrounds the benevolent dictator Fidel Castro.

the U.S. will not try to assasinate Castro as per the agreement that ended the Cuban missile crisis, but they're certainly not going to make life easier without Castro making concessions.

i guess that's the price you and your unfortunate subjects pay when you bring the U.S. to the brink of thermonuclear war.
daddydirt is offline   Reply With Quote