Thread: Changing codec
View Single Post
Old 21-07-01, 10:56 PM   #5
Yeah-I-Did-It

Thanks for the replys. I was just wondering if it would ruin the sound or not.
I have no problem encoding my own I use CDEX for ogg vorbis and 256cbr lame to get the best stereo sound. But if I want file size and quality I use the Win32lame encoding method for VBR. Win32lame uses the R3mix presets in the Razorlame program http://r3mix.net/ Makes the best damn VBR files with the Lame codec you will ever find IMHO.
Problem being when I first started to use Napster about a year ago I didn't know squat about MP3 sound codecs or programs. But after doing some rather extensive research and testing I have found I dislike the older files I have compared to the new ones I make. As a matter of fact I redid all of my CD's to the newer codecs.
Only reason I ask is I was looking for some other options and was just curious. As for the redownload well 56k here makes it a bit hard. Other problems are alot of the files are still in the older codecs so I would gain nothing. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a program that reported what codec was used before you downloaded it??
Anyway thanks for the input everyone. I found this forum about a month or 2 ago just before the closing of the Nap boards. Good to see some of the community still survives.