View Single Post
Old 21-07-04, 09:25 PM   #20
Heathcliff
One half won't do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazer
This was Las Vegas after all, I'm surprised the city wasn't consumed in flame and brimstone. The point is that about half the audience left, and though that may not be an accurate sample of Americans it does suggest that neither side has a majority of opinion. I understand that Michael Moore's adjenda is aimed at the President but he and his supporters are cutting America neatly into two halves and turning them against each other. Playing watch dog to the administration is a good thing, but rabble rousing is not.
Point well taken. Personally I consider Las Vegas a sad commentary on American life. I'm no prude mind you but preying on the desperation and emptiness of people who are deluded enough to think they are going to "hit it big" is just one notch above vampirism. I also find prostitution very, very sad.

Looking at napho's post I think it was probably less than half of the audience that left. A lot of these groups come from tour busses who cater to a certain group of people. It may have been one of the bus loads that went apeshit. So you really can't say it was a representative slice of the audience.

I don't want to bust your balls man but there's one thing different about left and right wing people. Left wingers tend to protest by not voting and withdrawing from other participation and right wingers tend to protest by turning out in droves, all fired up and ready to lash out at anybody they perceive disagreeing with them. If you took a scientific poll of the whole of the eligible voters in America you would see that the electorate leans decidedly to the left about 60/40%.
Lefties just don't get off their ass and vote (or are prevented from doing so by various chicaneries of the right) because they overestimate the hopelessness of the system.

As far as that casiṇ is concerned having Arnold on the new board of directors sure won't make things any better for free speech.