View Single Post
Old 31-01-05, 11:27 PM   #69
schmooky007
hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss_silver
schmooky007, personnally, i'm also bemused that people don't realise how some precision flying it was. What I mean is that these planes flew at 500 mph ffs. Even the instructor told the press that those 'terrorists' couldn't even fly a cesna, imagine them now, flying jumbo airplanes at the speed of 500 mph and hitting their target, all 3 of them. It just doesn't sound right.

BTW, i'd also like one of those indestructible passport, the type that can resists high temp fire and can survive after a building crashes on it.
not necessarily precision flying. today's aircraft are so advanced that all you have to do is put all the information into the flight computer and the plane will fly by itself without pilot intervention. once you're in the air it's pretty easy to control a plane if you know all the basics. this is exactly what these terrorist pilots trained to do in flight school.

they didn't train on how to take off, do an approach or landing. i would say the task of navigating where you want to go is more difficult than actually controlling the plane in the air. i assume they could have simply put in the data for JFK and the flight computer would navigate them to new york. once they were close to new york and saw the city and the world trade towers, they disabled the auto pilot and flew the planes manually to their target. not that hard to do with basic knowledge. albed raised a pretty good point. while MS flight simulator is a computer game, the GPS, ILS and radio codes listed in its database are real. in 2000 the US navy started to include a customized version of MSFS as part of pilot training.