Thread: Features I need
View Single Post
Old 04-06-02, 01:58 PM   #45
JohnDoe345
Who's really in control here? Help me...

Quote:
Originally posted by TankGirl

For example if you download at 30 k/s, you need about 3 k/s upstream for your own downloads....Let's say your cable allows you 150 k/s downloads but your upload bandwidth is capped at 15 k/s. Should you want to utilize your full download bandwidth you would actually need your whole upload bandwidth for the reverse traffic generated. This is of course an extreme situation and would also require a source that can feed you with such a speed.
Yes, I knew it had to be something like this. I've heard references to it before in other forums, but now hearing it from God herself I mean TG it has more creditbility to others reading this.

Quote:

Anyway, I recommend you to experiment to find a good setting for your dedicated upload bandwidth. Even a 1 k/s difference in the setting can have a drastic effect on your own download speeds in situations where you have heavy uploading going on.
I guess I forgot to mention that I've already done that and have adjusted my settings to a pretty good balance between uploads and downloads. Although, the underlining theme in this whole issue is that the users have to adjust their settings more often then they should. It's been mentioned several times in this thread but there needs to be some automated bandwidth control system that the user can adjust manually if need be. Not only is it good for convenience but it will also keep honest people honest.

For example, I do come across those times when 1 k/s difference does mean a lot and it can be tempting to just knock off a couple of k/s in your uploads to speed up your downloads. I'm just jumping to conclusions here but I believe that some users keep pushing this until they end up not sharing anymore.

I like the system that eDonkey uses that limits your download speeds depending how much you upload. Although, it's not a perfect system, but in my opinion it's a step in the right direction. My biggest grip with eDonkey is that its downloading consistency isn't all too great. For example, on FastTrack usually I can get an almost constant download speed whereas on eDonkey it varies a lot and usually stays at 0 k/s for a long time. Anyhow, that's a different issue entirely.

Quote:
Originally posted by indiana_jones

as for elite at all. of course you can buy junk food with you big pickup in supermarket near the highway en masse and very quick. but maybe this certain delicacy which makes live a pleasure is sold only in the small store in downtown with its narrow lanes, where you can walk on your own feet only
Quote:

There is plenty of mainstream stuff of average or uncertain quality available on the big public networks but if you look for rarer material and quality you may find it better from private, dedicated collectors and small non-public or semi-public groups.
Yes, very good points both of you. I've also experience this first hand myself. I compare the two networks to large brand name companies/large p2p groups vs "mom and pop" stores/small or private p2p groups. For quality and service you have to go to the smaller groups but for a larget selection and more sources you need to go to the larger groups.

For example, if you become a regular in one DC hub you get to know some of the other regulars. When friendships are made you are more willing to help them out and vice versa. An example of this is when you ask the group if they have some file. Even if no one is sharing at the moment some of them have told me that they have it on CD and can put it on their hard drive. Not something most users are willing to do on larger p2p groups. I've also noticed that they are more willing to tell me problems with the files or even recommend others that I might want. Basically, it becomes a community. Users get to see first hand how their good efforts can directly improve the group whereas on larger p2p programs I keep hearing complaints about users uploading 50 k/s only to download .6 k/s. It's not surprising that these users become jaded about helping others.

The large p2p programs are more impersonal like a large brand name store. You go in take what you want and if you are not a rude person you try not to disrupt the environment too much or other "customers" but I've noticed that users don't try to help each others out like they do in smaller groups. You can find a lot files available even good quality but it's a more of a help yourself environment.

Both have their good and bad points and I go to either one depending on what I want at the time.
JohnDoe345 is offline   Reply With Quote