Thread: Cut and Run
View Single Post
Old 10-05-04, 09:19 AM   #12
Mazer
Earthbound misfit

Alright, so do we build an embassy or no? Leave a few marines there, with the threat of a siege looming over them? I mean, we've put in the time, we've paid for that land with blood, we should keep a couple of acres for our trouble. But we have to make it safe for our marines to stay there. You say it's alright to let Iraq dive into civil warfare after we take our leave of them. I say we can afford to allow a civil war less than we can can afford what we're doing now. If we march out waving our flag with our heads high and our backs to the Iraqis then Bagdhad will burn and that will be our legacy. The blood of those who will die in our absence will still be on our hands because we started this thing after all. But if we stand our ground and raise our flag in the middle of that city then at least we can show the world that we take responsibility for our actions, good and bad, and that we have made peace our business. Then it will be up to Iraqi officials and police forces to keep our embassy safe from mobs and militias, and when we can trust our former enemies to defend our soldiers and ambassadors then we will have accomplished something to be proud of.

Can any of you stand to watch your fellow man kill his own brother in a civil war? Would you watch the conflict on CNN and proudly say "We let it happen?" Would the world forgive us for causing it after we have already fought such a war on our own land? The UN may not have endorsed our invasion, but they expect us to finish the job. We are bound to Iraq's fate because we erased what little government they already had, and we destroyed their national defences. We are directly accountable for every wound that nation bears. Leaving now would only prove that we are the world's biggest bully, but I know better. America is the nation that makes allies out of enemies, and we repent for our sins. We even nuked an other country and they befriended us. Iraq is not so far gone that we can't protect it. So to allow them to perish in a childish power struggle when we have the means to save them would be our greatest sin. No more Saigons!
Mazer is offline   Reply With Quote