View Single Post
Old 18-05-01, 09:48 PM   #7
Wenchie
Salsera

Quote:
Originally posted by VWguy
Whether or not an extraterestrial life form has visited Earth, it would be the height of arrogance to think that WE are the only life in the universe.
It is just to impossible that we are "alone" in this universe to think anything else.

I heard a good breakdown on the statistics for our galaxy alone, but I don't rember the details. It worked on the theory that if 10% of the 1 trillon stars were of the right type( age, size, ect), and 10% of those had planets, and of those with planets 10% had a planet that was the right size, ect.....Anyway, it worked down to several million planets that would be earthlike enough to easily support our type of life.

This does not take into account that there are other basis for life possible, non-carbon or non H2o are both realistic possibilities.

This is what I believe, not just the Trekkie talking.
Good points VWG...I take an open minded stance on the question of extraterrestrial activity. It's worth thinking about though that the criteria used for determining the possibility of life 'out there' is human criteria. The fact that there is possibly much outside the realm of human understanding seems to escape even the most enquiring of minds sometimes. The egotism of wo/man just doesnt seem to allow for anything that we cant conceive of.

wench
Wenchie is offline   Reply With Quote