View Single Post
Old 19-06-02, 05:47 PM   #2
Mowzer
'

Go the independent route, and focus on it, making your network the best it can be.

Yes it is hard to attract a user base, but if your program is good, it ultimately will.

Look at the fasttrack network. Orignally it was an allright place, it too had to work at gathering a user base which it ultimately did.

You also might want to give some thought to the community aspect of your network. Our own napsterites local drunk Harby posted about community and content, which I personally dismissed.

Doing some reading latley I have re thought about the community aspect towards any p2p app. I think its a good notion that can be expanded on.

Saying that I think p2p app communites could be implemented in better ways. Forums and chat, been there done that. Let the imagination flow and I am sure you could come up with an innovation.

The equation is simple, in order to get a solid user base you need a strong community aspect. There is a reason napster included chat features when it set the p2p benchmark years back.

I would like to see a hookin from a p2p app that gives a sort of community of my close friends from all around the globe, but expands the concept of connected computers into a connected p2p media community, with the ability for each person to set filters of the content they see and also search and download from the entire network, injecting new contnent into your own little p2p network.

It also needs to be tied into a users desktop so file share transactions are seamless, much like it is to move a file from one folder to another.

Kinda a linking of my media folder with my "trusted" friends folder.

If I am at my girlfriends house, I want to listen to my music, I can grab it easy just as if I was on my own computer. At the same time I see a movie a friend just downloaded that I might want to watch too. A p2p media folder. I see the movie and when I doubble click to watch it the download would start and I could watch it. I could search for music at my pc, and since my girl and I have same taste in music she could see what I have downloaded, and grab it aswell. It would all have to be seamless though so it doesnt look like I have to open a seperate p2p app, and download music or movies and then look for them in some other folder.

Media files I dont want to share I could hide with a simple right click. My media is my friends media and theres is mine, diffrent filters would allow me to choose what I want to see and dont. (no need to look at buddies pop music.) That would be a tight intergration of a little private community of my friends, and of course if I meet new people on the network, it would expand my whole friends circle of media.

In app design the best UI is no UI. Local content and p2p content would seem merged, when looking in my connected (insert your app's name here) media folder.

A model like this would need to be trust heavy, no corp bugging it up with adware or spyware. Also attention would need to be paid to viruses, and certain files would need to be restricted, like outlook.dbx files or other system files.
Mowzer is offline   Reply With Quote